The Quezon City government now makes it easier for senior citizens, persons with disability (PWDs) and pregnant women to go to the Quezon Memorial Circle through the underpass in front of QC Hall.
On Friday (May 8), Mayor Herbert Bautista formally opened to the public, the two new elevator units that were installed by the city government at the entrance/exit of the underpass linking QMC to QC Hall.
Mayor Bautista said the two elevator units, built at a cost of P32 million, will enable more of our constituents to avail themselves of the city government’s services for convenient and comfortable access to the Circle.
“What we will be doing is ensure Quezon City’s strong compliance to the Accessibility Law while adopting more programs to improve the delivery of services to the PWDs,” the Mayor said.
Construction of both elevators shafts began October last year, said city engineer Joselito Cabungcal. Prior to the full utilization of the two elevators, Engr. Cabungcal said project contractors will be conducting a one-month dry-run to determine the operational capability of both facilities, which has a passenger capacity of 10 persons each. For those in wheelchairs, each elevator can accommodate at least three at one time, Cabungcal said. The city’s general services department shall oversee the operation of the QMC elevators.
Meanwhile, for the QMC-Philcoa underpass, Engr. Cabungcal said that the city government will be constructing escalators on both sides for the benefit of PWDs and senior citizens. Bidding for the construction of the escalator project has been scheduled this month, he said (Precy)
Posted By: Edrillan Pasion